Living proof that an internship can lead to a full-time position!
A: My Internship was as a Future Sales Leader for Frito-Lay and it was located in Oak Forest, IL
Q: How did you hear about the internship opportunity?
A: I first heard about this internship through Sarah Myers in the SPH Office of Career Services and then met the company at a career fair on campus
Q: What was the hiring process like (if there was a formal hiring process)?
A: The hiring process for me involved an interview here at school and then a subsequent interview on site at the company.
Q: What were your main responsibilities?
A: My main responsibilities included selling, customer interactions, daily recaps of project work, and just in general looking for new opportunities
Q: What was the best part of your experience?
A: The best part of this summer had to be the people I worked with. Everyone made me feel very comfortable and they were more than willing to help with anything I needed.
Q: What was the most important thing you learned while completing this internship?
A: The most important thing I learned this summer is how important customer relationships are. You really have to work to maintain those customer relationships and they really are the base of any position in this industry.
Q: Based on what your learned and your overall experience, what advice would you share with your peers?
A: Overall, I would say this is a great internship and you will learn a lot. The main thing to know is that this internship was definitely not a desk job and you will be going out in the market with the Route Sales Representatives and sometimes you will start as early as 2-3am. Frito-Lay seems to preach the work hard, play hard mentality and I really enjoyed this. You will work very hard, but they also took us to some pretty cool places and we had a lot of fun.
Q: What are you up to next?
A: I have accepted the job offer from Frito-Lay I received after this summer, and starting next year, I will be working full time as a District Sales Leader for them.
“My name is David Samardzija and I am a senior studying Sports Marketing & Management. I interned this past summer with Frito-Lay which was my only internship experience in college. I have accepted an offer to work full-time for Frito-Lay next year as a District Sales Leader. I love being here at Indiana University, and while I can’t believe my time here is almost done.” , I am excited to start on a new challenge.”
PepsiCo/Frito Lay will be on campus for the Oct. 23rd career and internship fair in SPH 163. They will be conducting on-campus interview the day after on Oct. 24th. To take part in these interviews, please follow the instructions below. The deadline to apply for an on-campus interview is Oct. 9th.
How to Apply for a Position
1. .Log in to the IUSPH Job Portal at http://www.publichealth.indiana.edu/careers/jobportal.shtml . If you do not yet have an account, you will be prompted to click to register for an account.
2. Fully complete your Profile within the system. Be complete in filling out fields and be sure to make yourself visible to employers in your profile settings.
3. Upload your resume in the My Documents section BEFORE APPLYING, located under the My Account tab.
4. Click on Employer Directory.
5. Type PepsiCo into the Organization Name field and then click Search.
6. Click on the listing for PepsiCo and click the word Schedules to view the Frito-Lay jobs/internships (schedule 21).
7. Next click on the Job Titles: You will see two listings (Frito-Lay Future Leader Sales Intern and Frito-Lay Sales Associate).
8. At the top of the next page, it will list the Schedule number and Job titles. In green, it will state: “You do qualify for job.” Then click the Request Interview button to apply.
9. Next select which position(s) you are applying for and click Save.
10. Select your resume file to attach from the drop down list. Your resume must be uploaded in the My Documents section to select it.
11. Click Request Interview.
12. You will see a message that says, “Your request has been submitted. Click OK.”
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THESE POSITIONS RUNS FROM SEPT. 23-OCT. 9.
Your materials will then be reviewed and you will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. If selected for an interview, you will then need to log back in to the Job Board system beginning on Oct. 18th to select an interview slot.
Interviews will take place on Oct. 24th in the School of Public Health, the day after the job fair.
PepsiCo/Frito-Lay will also be attending the SPH Job Fair on Oct. 23rd. You may wish to come to the fair and introduce yourself to the representatives. In addition, PepsiCo/Frito-Lay will be hosting an Information Session on the evening of Oct. 23rd following the fair so you can learn more about their company and get tips on interviewing with their company.
Categories: Internship Spotlights
IUSPH Career Services
Job opportunities for Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington majors are diverse and expanding as the emphasis on living a healthy lifestyle grows around the world. Career Services experts in each of our academic departments will provide one-on-one counseling and career building opportunities throughout your academic career, from choosing the right major to developing a strategy to find a job. They can assist you with:
•resume and cover letter preparation
•graduate school preparation